iceScrum | Assign tasks to team members (in daily scrum) – iceScrum

iceScrum Forums Discuss on iceScrum

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Author

jabraham
    Participant

In Agile and Iterative Development it is common to have a daily “scrum”, where everyone meets to talk about their progress, plans and blocks. We do this in my office. I use the sprint plan screen and the release plan screen during this meeting; I’m even going to buy a 42″ TV for the wall so everyone can see the virtual post-it notes.

Typically, this is where a team member decides to take on a task. However I cannot assign the task to the team member at the meeting, because we cannot assign tasks in Icescrum. The team member would have to go back to her office, login, and “take” the task. This doesn’t happen, so the task assignment never gets recorded in icescrum.

So we’d all like the functionality of allowing the Scrum Master to assign tasks to team members. (Or, more specifically, we’d like the functionality of a team member to be able to “take” a task verbally in a meeting without having to login at a computer, however without voice recognition software it seems we should just trust the Scrum Master to record the taking of the task.)

This has been discussed before, e.g.
    viewtopic.php?f=11&t=467&p=1382&hilit=assign#p1382
    viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1026&p=3138&hilit=take#p3138

Hope this can be added,

jabraham
    Participant

I was discussing this with my team again today.

What if there was a system for the user to type their password before a task could be assigned to them? That way, in the meeting if a user agrees to take on a task, the user could reach over to the scrum master’s keyboard and explicitly agree to take the task by typing their password?

jeroen
    Participant

I would hope for the way that someone can assign the task for another person (although I can understand the reason why not to). Perhaps an option “Accepts as user” can be added which pops up a small dialog in which you can select the user to assign it to.

amweiss
    Participant

Just like to throw another vote in for assigning tasks if you are logged in as a scrum master. We have one person on the computer at the planning meetings and it would just be much easier to allow them to assign tasks then to have everyone go back to their desk after and claim all the tasks.

jabraham
    Participant

I created a story for it. http://tools.icescrum.org/p/ICESCRUM-678

Nicolas Noullet
    Keymaster

John,

This is already implemented in iceScrum Pro under the feature called “Task board”: https://www.icescrum.com/fr/documentation/icescrum-pro/task-board/.

Gerry
    Participant

Will this feature be added to the free community version of icescrum?

Nicolas Noullet
    Keymaster

There is currently no plan to do so.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Feedback, defects, evolutions’ is closed to new topics and replies.