iceScrum | Should we represent business analysis as a story? – iceScrum

iceScrum Forums Discutez d'iceScrum

3 sujets de 1 à 3 (sur un total de 3)

• Auteur

Kagilum
    Maître des clés

Hi,
    I’m somewhat new in scrum. The IT department where I work is not oriented to Scrum but my team wants do go through it and show the advantages to the rest of the people, business included.
    Question: should we represent the activity of Business Analysis in iceScrum as a story?
    As a user story, definitely not, I guess. So, if yes, as a technical story?
    The idea is to do Business Analysis iteratively along the project and so, consider it as part of it. We would say that is part of the production process.
    Regards
    Pedro

Nicolas Noullet
    Maître des clés

Olá Pedro,

Extending agile culture beyond IT is mandatory to ensure the success of agile methodologies. Indeed, development teams rely heavily on their inputs and all the benefits brought by agile methodologies are lost if their surroundings don’t share the same values and rhythm.

In « traditional » project management, communication between stakeholders (in particular from Business) and a development team is usually difficult because these are two different worlds. Scrum tackles this issue by creating a bridge, an interface between those worlds: the Product Owner, who works with the development team (usually in the same place, part time of full time). She represents all the stakeholders interested in the product (Business, Strategy, Management, Sales…) so she can define and prioritize user stories accordingly.

A Scrum project consists in a team of people working together to provide value to stakeholders through the delivery of user stories, following a goal: a vision that is built and defended by the Product Owner and shared by all the team members. The work of the Product Owner, just like any other team member, is not represented as stories (which are the project outcome) but as tasks, so the Product Owner may create his own tasks in the iceScrum sprint plan.

Depending on how pure Business people work, it may be relevant to manage their work with Scrum and create an iceScrum project for that but I would not make it a priority. What I think is the most important is rather to ensure that they understand and share the agile values and work together with the Product Owners to ensure that they have enough information at a sufficient rate to feed the development teams.

Kagilum
    Maître des clés

@Nicolas Noullet wrote:

The work of the Product Owner, just like any other team member, is not represented as stories (which are the project outcome) but as tasks, so the Product Owner may create his own tasks in the iceScrum sprint plan.

Thank you, Nicolas, for your help.
    I think I got the message. Meanwhile, I read Scrum Guide from Scrum.org and I understood that someone more focused in doing business analysis is a Development Team member as any other. There will be tasks within the user stories for the work he/she has to do to contribute to product increment.

3 sujets de 1 à 3 (sur un total de 3)

Le forum ‘Questions and help’ est fermé à de nouveaux sujets et réponses.