iceScrum | Importing from Excel – iceScrum

iceScrum Forums Discutez d'iceScrum

6 sujets de 1 à 6 (sur un total de 6)

• Auteur

Kagilum
    Maître des clés

I have been trying to import from an excel spreadsheet to the sandbox, with no success. I have a spreadsheet that has columns
    name, description, feature, notes

and 5 rows. I highlight the data, drag it over the sandbox region, and I just get a brief « busy » cursor, then nothing happens. No errors, but no new stories imported!

My description does contain multi-line text inputs. Are there any restrictions on what can be in the various columns?

Is this the only way to import stories into iceScrum?

thanks

Roger

Nicolas Noullet
    Maître des clés

Hi Roger,

It appears that multi-line cells aren’t recognized properly, that’s a bug. However, when I try it, a generic error message is displayed. You may try with sample simpler stories to see if basic import works. Anyway, thanks for the report.

There is a very generic way to import data into iceScrum but it requires technical skills: iceScrum provides a Restful Web Services API (https://www.icescrum.com/documentation/icescrum-api/) you can access programmatically in order to update iceScrum data from custom sources.

Kagilum
    Maître des clés

Hi – I am aslo trying to import stories from Excel – I do not have any multiline within table – but I always got a message that table format is wrong and that I can create new story with a text as description – which I do not want – Please help – this is crucial for me becouse PO has all stories in Excel and I need this function to work with IceScrum.

Nicolas Noullet
    Maître des clés

Hello,

What version of Excel and what operating system do you use? iceScrum expects data in a specific format where columns are separated by tabs. As far as I know, this how Excel formats drag & dropped data on windows.

You can try opening the file I attached to this message in a text editor and then drag & drop its content to the iceScrum sandbox (please note that it uses linux line endings so if it is displayed on one line, there may be a line ending problem). This file follows the format expected by iceScrum. It assumes the existence of a feature called « La Feature », you can change it to one of your features.

Kagilum
    Maître des clés

My apologies for jumping on an old thread, but I am also having difficulty importing stories. I can drag-and-drop the sample .txt file successfully, but the same procedure does not work with my data. My data is in a CSV file with four columns – Name, Description, Feature, and Notes. Each column is separated by a tab. At first I thought the problem was the amount of data I was trying to import (~250 stories), but after much trial-and-error I have concluded it is the presence of special characters that caused imports to fail for me. Specifically, any row with ‘%’, ‘&’ or ‘/’ in it could not be imported.

Is this a known problem? Is there documentation on the import feature?

Nicolas Noullet
    Maître des clés

What encoding do you use in your original .csv file?

There is not much documentation on the subject: this legacy feature will probably not be maintained / kept in future versions of iceScrum.

6 sujets de 1 à 6 (sur un total de 6)

Le forum ‘Questions and help’ est fermé à de nouveaux sujets et réponses.